Recipe by Seany
This is a recipe my mother taught me, that I've updated a touch to get the thickness I like.
Top Review by fetcher101
I made this recipe without the crackers, and added some basil and oregano to it. It had a good flavor but it was very thin, it wasn't like soup though, just milk with the potatoes sunken to the bottom. I would recommend dicing the potatoes into VERY small pieces and adding some sort of thickening agent.
- 3 medium potatoes or 3 large potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- salt (preferably garlic salt)
- 40 crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, peel, and dice potatoes.
- Place in large pot, and barely cover with water.
- Add some salt and pepper.
- Place on stove, put heat on high, let boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add 3 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons butter/margarine.
- Set heat to medium and heat until hot. Watch the pot, do not let it boil. The milk has a low flashpoint, and if you aren't watching it will bubble all over your stove. Just let it barely start boiling.
- Take half of soup and place in blender, with half roll/package of crackers. Blend, pour into large bowl, set aside.
- Take other half of soup, place in blender, with other half of crackers. Blend, return to pot, add first half.
- Stir together, salt and pepper to taste, serve hot.