Recipe by Toby Jermain
I think I got this out of Sonde Off, the employee magazine of Schlumberger Well Services, about 25-30 years ago. Prep time does not include chilling time for dough.
- 1 frozen pasty shells or 1 buttery pastry shells (or use Mean Chef's Classic Pie Crust #26205; it is unbelievable!)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 7 ounces shrimp, drained well (cooked or canned)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushroom, sauteed in
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (or a can sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 4 eggs, beaten,at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup half-and-half, heated
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Buttery Pastry Shell and roll out to fit a 9-10" glass pie plate.
- Prick sides and bottom.
- Bake at 400 degreef F until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Sprinkle cheeses, shrimp, mushrooms, and green onion over bottom of partially baked shell.
- Slowly whisk hot milk into beaten eggs.
- Add Tabasco, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour over ingredients in shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4.
- Buttery Pastry Shell: Combine flour and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles peas.
- Add enough water to form mixture into a ball.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes befor rolling out dough.