Recipe by realbirdlady
Seal meat is extremely rich in iron, and contains more Omega 3 fatty acids than many other meats. From the Canadian Sealers Association.
- 12 ounces seal meat, cut in small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, Diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour, mixed with
- 1⁄8 cup water (for Thickening)
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Marinade the seal with wine, garlic, onion & mushrooms for 1 hour.
- Brown the seal meat 1/4 cup butter, adding all the marinade ingredients and the water and flour mixture.
- Let the seal meat cool.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter.
- Unwrap the phyllo pastry and cut in half horizontally. Separate the sheets, spread with the melted butter, and sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs. Continue until for 3 layers.
- Place a small mound of the meat mixture in the lower centre of the pastry stack and fold pastry into a triangle. Brush package with butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with garnish of red onion or cranberries.