Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious, all be it a bit time-consuming, favorite recipe of ours from my "Eve" cookbook. Eve Aronoff used to have a wonderful restaurant called "Eve" in Ann Arbor. I've loved everything made in this cookbook so far. This one is company-worthy in DH's and my opinion and we have both served this and been served this at dinner parties. We can't find the type of scallops she specifies and it has not been a problem. I take the tails off the shrimp for ease of eating.
- 8 large sea scallops, preferably dry scallops that have not been frozen, soaked, injected with saline
- 12 jumbo gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, fine julienne
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, fine julienne
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups curry cream, one batch (see recipe below)
- 1 lb fresh pasta, cooked until al dente in boiling salted water and tossed with a small amount of olive oil, torn (or cut into ribbons)
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese, additional for garnish (or aged provolone)
Curry Cream (makes about 1 quart)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 cups yellow onions, minced
- 4 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, minced (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons hot curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce, to taste (Sriracha)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (to taste)
- heaping 1/2 cup each parmigiano regianno and aged provolone cheese, grated
- For the Cream:.
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan and saute onions, ginger, garlic and jalapenos for about 3 minutes.
- Season with spices and salt and pepper.
- Add cream, simmer to reduce until sauce thickens, but is still silky and coats the back of a spoon, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add sriracha, lime juice, and brown sugar and cheese.
- Adjust seasonings generously to taste.
- For the Seafood Pasta:.
- Season shrimp and scallops with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan and saute shrimp and scallops over medium-high heat until just cooked through, being careful not to overcrowd pan or seafood will not be able to carmelize properly, and set aside.
- While seafood is cooking, in separate saute pan, heat olive oil and saute onions for 1-2 minutes; add sugar snap peas, toss and cook very briefly, about 30 seconds. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add Curry Cream and bring to a simmer and adjust seasoning generously to taste.
- Add pasta to Curry Cream and toss until evenly coated--adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, make a small ruffle of baby spinach around perimeter of each bowl, mound pasta in the center, and top with shredded Reggiano and sauteed shrimp and scallops.