Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Light (June 2005)
- 3 medium eggplants, each cut in half lengthwise (about 3 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup ham, chopped (I skip)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 ounces day-old French bread or 2 1⁄2 ounces other firm white bread
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Score cut side of each eggplant half in a crisscross pattern; lightly coat cut sides of eggplant halves with cooking spray.
- Place eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn eggplant halves over; bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- Remove pulp from eggplant, leaving a (1/4-inch-thick) shell.
- Place eggplant shells on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Chop pulp; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ham, 1/2 cup onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add reserved eggplant pulp and beer; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shrimp; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form.
- Add breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons cheese, green onions, basil, tarragon, rind, salt, and black pepper to eggplant mixture; stir gently to combine.
- Mound about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture into each eggplant shell.
- Sprinkle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and shrimp are done.
Exellent recipe. Wonderful flavors. We love eggplant any which way. Since I only had one good size eggplant on hand I took some liberties! :-) I diced the peeled eggplant and cooked with all the veggies and seasonings in some bacon drippings untils soft. I had crawfish tails and added those. cooked just a couple more min. I let it cool and added. The bread and 2 beaten eggs I added lots of Parmesano reggiano. Put all in a casserole. More cheese on top. Covered with foil and baked for 20 min. Unvovered and baked 10 more minutes. YUM,,,,, Thanks for the recipe inspiration. Koechin