Cook1 hr 30 mins
Recipe by Ina Garten.
Make and share this Seafood Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp shells, shells from 1 pound large shrimp
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup good white wine
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, including stems
- Warm the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells, onions, carrots, and celery over medium heat for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 quarts of water, the white wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain through a sieve, pressing the solids. You should have approximately 1 quart of stock. If not, you can make up the difference with water or white wine.