Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe by Ina Garten.
Make and share this Seafood Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp shells, shells from 1 pound large shrimp
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup good white wine
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, including stems
- Warm the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells, onions, carrots, and celery over medium heat for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 quarts of water, the white wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain through a sieve, pressing the solids. You should have approximately 1 quart of stock. If not, you can make up the difference with water or white wine.
I doubled the recipe using raw and cooked prawn/shrimp shell, king crab shell and crayfish/lobster shells for the last step I put through a fine sieve 3 times and then on the 4th put through a clean fine cloth and the result was 8 cups of beautiful clear stock with lots of flavour, I have frozen the 8 cups (in 1 cup containers) and look forward to using to make a seafood chowder and a seafood laksa. Still have crayfish shells and a fish head in the freezaer ready to make another batch very soon. Thank you Heather U., made for Bargain Basement game. WOW this made the best Seafood Chowder we have ever had (will post recipe), thank you Heather U for a great recipe.