1/2 Photos of Seafood Stew (Crock Pot)
4 hrs 30 mins
This is very good, hearty and low cal/low fat! I made this when I wanted to use what I had on hand -- all the seafood and chicken was in the freezer and the cans of tomatoes (which I always have on hand) in the pantry plus some celery and peppers from the fridge - and dinner was on its way! I made a few changes to the original recipe from The Healthy Slow Cooker based on what I had on hand and spiced it up a bit. I used 1 can of tomatoes w/ green chiles (but the original recipe calls for 19 oz of canned tomatoes) and some tomato juice I wanted to use up. The recipe below is how I made the recipe - but this recipe is very adaptable to personal tastes or what is on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (see note in description)
- 1 -2 cup tomato juice (see note in description)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 ounces shrimp, thawed (if frozen)
- 5 ounces clams (I used frozen, thawed, but the original recipe suggests canned clams, drained)
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I used red bell peppers, but the original recipe suggests 1 red and 1 green bell pepper)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (I used a lot less)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces scallops, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- hot pepper sauce
- 1In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2Add garlic, oregano, peppercorns and cook stirring for another minute.
- 3Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook another minute.
- 4Add vegetable broth (or chicken broth), tomatoes and tomato juice and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for about 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to crock pot.
- 5Add chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- 6Stir in shrimp, clams, peppers, and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile in a baggie combine chili powder and cayenne. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- 8In a skillet over medium heat melt butter and add scallops and cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until scallops are opaque.
- 9Add scallops to crock pot, stirring in well.
- 10Spoon soup in bowls and serve with hot pepper sauce if desired. I thought this was spicy enough without the Tabasco sauce - but my son added a lot to his serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Stew (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 117.2 mg
- Sodium 921.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: