Recipe by ellie_
This is very good, hearty and low cal/low fat! I made this when I wanted to use what I had on hand -- all the seafood and chicken was in the freezer and the cans of tomatoes (which I always have on hand) in the pantry plus some celery and peppers from the fridge - and dinner was on its way! I made a few changes to the original recipe from The Healthy Slow Cooker based on what I had on hand and spiced it up a bit. I used 1 can of tomatoes w/ green chiles (but the original recipe calls for 19 oz of canned tomatoes) and some tomato juice I wanted to use up. The recipe below is how I made the recipe - but this recipe is very adaptable to personal tastes or what is on hand.
Top Review by Noor.Khalid
An absolutely tasty dish. Here are my modifications: First of all, I was too lazy to saut? anything, so I dumped it all in the crockpot. I omitted all of the oil and butter as I'm looking to eliminate as many fat grams as possible--they weren't missed. Left out the tomatoes, added a bottle of clam broth to the mix as well as a whitefish filet instead of the chicken, and used bay scallops. This recipe is extremely adaptable and is so easy to make. Hubby and I really enjoyed it and will make again! Thanks for posting, ellie!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (see note in description)
- 1 -2 cup tomato juice (see note in description)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 ounces shrimp, thawed (if frozen)
- 5 ounces clams (I used frozen, thawed, but the original recipe suggests canned clams, drained)
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I used red bell peppers, but the original recipe suggests 1 red and 1 green bell pepper)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped (I used a lot less)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces scallops, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic, oregano, peppercorns and cook stirring for another minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook another minute.
- Add vegetable broth (or chicken broth), tomatoes and tomato juice and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for about 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to crock pot.
- Add chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Stir in shrimp, clams, peppers, and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a baggie combine chili powder and cayenne. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter and add scallops and cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until scallops are opaque.
- Add scallops to crock pot, stirring in well.
- Spoon soup in bowls and serve with hot pepper sauce if desired. I thought this was spicy enough without the Tabasco sauce - but my son added a lot to his serving.