Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
serve this in deep bowls with french bread to sop up the sauce. this posted by request, courtesy of le creuset-and i highly recommend their cookware!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise,fronds reserved
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 lbs sea bass, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- in a large dutch oven heat oil.
- add sausage, cook turning until brown, about 8 minutes.
- remove and cut sausage into 1" pieces.
- add fennel and onions, cook until tender about 8-10 minutes.
- return sausage to pan, add stock, tomatoes, zest and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- add sea bass, stir, cover, and cook 3 minutes.
- add shrimp and mussels, cover and cook until shrimp is pink and mussels open, 5 minutes more.
- discard mussels that don't open.
- garnish with fennel fronds.
I made this for New Years Day and it was incredible. Our friends are asking for it to be our new food tradition.
I started this recipe by cutting it in half. I did with all the seafood but the rest was left as directed.The chorizo I sliced before cooking added the onions and fennel right to it. I did have to add 2 cloves of garlic, a hefty pinch of saffron and a pinch of habanaro pepper powder. I also used fresh chopped tomatoes in place of the canned. I enjoyed the way hints of the zest came through. Very Good!