Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
This flavorful salad is nice to serve when the evenings are getting cool, at the end of the summer. I always add the edible flowers, if I can find them (or I have some on my zucchini plants), but they are by no means necessary to make this recipe delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups torn assorted salad greens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint (or less, to taste)
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- fresh edible flower (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat; add garlic, ginger and shallot; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in lime zest and juice, orange zest and juice, sugar, salt and pepper to taste; cook 1 minute then slowly whisk in remaining oil.
- Toss together greens, cilantro, and mint in a large serving bowl.
- Arrange orange sections, scallops and shrimp on to of the greens; sprinkle with sunflower seeds and edible flowers, if desired.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the warm dressing over salad; toss to coat.
- Add additional dressing as needed.
- *To toast sunflower seeds, heat them in a small dry pan over low heat, stirring often, until lightly browned; immediately remove seeds from the pan to stop cooking.