1/3 Photos of Seafood Risotto
1 hr 20 mins
From "Italian Mastepiece", Good Food Magazine, September 1986.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry white wine (or as needed)
- 1 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed, bearded
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined (reserve shells)
- 4 ounces sea scallops, halved
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 2/3 cups italian short-grain rice (such as Arborio or Tesori)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat wine and broth in large heavy saucepan to boiling. Add mussels, cover pan, and cook just until mussels open, about 4 minutes. Remove mussels to bowl with slotted spoon and let cool. Remove mussels from shells and discard shells.
- 2Meanwhile, reduce heat under saucepan and add shrimp shells to broth. Simmer covered 15 minutes. Strain through sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Measure broth and add enough wine and water to measure 4 cups. Transfer to saucepan and keep hot over very low heat.
- 3Heat 2 T. butter and the oil in large saucepan over low heat. When butter foams, stir in onion and cook until tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Add rice to onion, increase heat to medium, and cook, stirirng constantly, until edges of grains are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Pour enough broth into rice to cover by 1/4 inch. Adjusting heat to maintain a lively simmer (not steady boil), simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed and you can see bottom of pan as you stir, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add more broth to cover rice by 1/4 inch and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat adding broth and simmering until rice is tender but still slightly firm at the center; add shrimp and scallops after 15 minutes of cooking (it should take about 20 minutes from time first liquid is added). Season to taste and with salt and pepper halfway through cooking.
- 6Stir enough of the remaining broth mixture into risotto to make it creamy. Remove from heat and stir in mussels, remaining butter, the parsley, and cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 164.1 mg
- Sodium 750.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 39.4 g