Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Weight Watchers recipe that was given to me in the early 90's. Perfect for a dinner party.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 24 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 1⁄4 lbs bay scallops
- 3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (to garnish)
- To prepare sauce: In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat add oil.
- When warm add onion and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrot, wine, lemon zest, oregano, salt and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce simmers, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook rigatoni as per package directions, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain rigatoni and place in a 13 x 9 inch casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the shrimp and scallops and mix well.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over top and bake until cheese melts and seafood is cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
I omitted the lemon zest and thought this dish was very tasty. I will probably omit the oregano next time. I like oregano, but I think an herb with a milder flavor (maybe basil) would work a bit better. I love the slight sweetness that the carrots bring to this dish. Other than needing to tweak it a little for my own tastes, I think this is a very good recipe. I'm glad you shared it ~ Thank you.
This was very good, the only thing I skipped was the wine and added apple juice instead since I dont care for wine in my food. I think any seafood would work well in this dish. It is one of those ellegent but easy meals.
Made this last night and was enjoyed by all. A few adjutments, not many i promised,lol. I opened crushed tom (with garlic & basil) i didn't read the can and assumed they were diced. And i used white wine. I had ziti on hand so i used the whole box. I did it in stages. I made the sauce and cooked the pasta early in the day. Then finished up at dinner time. It did make alot my pan was over flowing so it did take extra time in the oven It was in almost 40 mins. The shrimp and scallops came out perfect. We really enjoyed this and are having the left overs tom. Thanks for the post!