Recipe by PaulaG
This is a Weight Watchers recipe that was given to me in the early 90's. Perfect for a dinner party.
Top Review by mermaidmagic
I omitted the lemon zest and thought this dish was very tasty. I will probably omit the oregano next time. I like oregano, but I think an herb with a milder flavor (maybe basil) would work a bit better. I love the slight sweetness that the carrots bring to this dish. Other than needing to tweak it a little for my own tastes, I think this is a very good recipe. I'm glad you shared it ~ Thank you.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 24 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 1⁄4 lbs bay scallops
- 3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare sauce: In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat add oil.
- When warm add onion and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrot, wine, lemon zest, oregano, salt and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce simmers, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook rigatoni as per package directions, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain rigatoni and place in a 13 x 9 inch casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the shrimp and scallops and mix well.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over top and bake until cheese melts and seafood is cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.