Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe uses less fat, sugar and salt. Diabetic exchanges; 2 starch, 1 lean meat. Makes 4-main-dish servings or 8-side-dish servings.
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) canchopped clams, undrained
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk or 1 (5 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 1-1/2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, combine rice,onion and chiles.
- In a bowl,combine clams and milk; pour over rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This was a great basic and simple recipe, though I did what Geema suggested and added an egg. It turned out too dry, so next I won't add an egg. Thanks for the recipe.
This dish was made with pantry staples and was very easy to put together. I substituted a can of small, deveined shrimp for the clams, and used some Parmesan instead of the cheddar cheese. For some reason the finished dish was a little soupy and I wondered if I should have added an egg. While the green chilies gave this dish a little zip, I wish I had used the whole can, since they were fairly mild. Barb, this is a great basic recipe that will come in handy when I need a good meal with things I have on hand.