Recipe by Lorac
A simple and elegant way to prepare fillets of sole. Garnish with fresh dill and serve with steamed baby carrots and pea pods.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless sole fillets
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill or 1⁄2 dried dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Season fillets with salt, pepper and lemon juice and cut fillets into strips, 5 to 6 inches long and 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Roll up each strip like a pinwheel and secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a single layer in an oiled baking dish.
- In a heavy sauce pan (or double boiler) over low heat, beat milk and egg yolk until well blended and stir until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
- Add cheese and dill and continue to stir until cheese is melted, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Bake fish 5-8 minutes or until center is opaque and remove to serving dish.
- Reheat sauce using liquid from baking dish or more milk if necessary and spoon over fish.