Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a favorite healthy recipe that I serve to guests and always get rave reviews. This recipe comes from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet Cookbook. Cooking time does not include the pasta cooking time.
- 1 lb rotini pasta (or rotelle, macaroni, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- boiling water (reserve 1/2 cup pasta water for sauce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, sliced
- 2 cups peas, cooked if raw, thawed if frozen
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice (peeled if desired)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- grated parmesan cheese (to garnish) (optional) or romano cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain and transfer to a heated bowl or large platter.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the shrimp and saute them for 1 minute. Add the scallops, garlic and scallions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cheese and heat the sauce stirring gently.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, toss all together and serve immediately with the grated cheese (if desired).