2 hrs 25 mins
In '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicolone
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb small mussels
- 1 lb small clam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups drained cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 lb calamari, cut into 1-inch rings
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1Place the mussels in cold water to cover for 30 minutes.
- 2Scrub them with a stiff brush and scrape off any barnacles or seaweed.
- 3Remove the beards by pulling them toward the narrow end of the shells.
- 4Discard any mussels with cracked shells or that do not shut tightly when tapped.
- 5Place the mussels in a large pot with 1/2 cup cold water.
- 6Cover the pot and bring to a simmer.
- 7Cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- 8With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a bowl.
- 9Place the clams in the pot and cover the pan.
- 10Cook until the clams open, about 5 minutes.
- 11Remove the clams from the pot.
- 12Strain the liquid in the pot through a paper coffee filter into a bowl and reserve.
- 13With your fingers, remove the clams and mussels from the shells and place them in a bowl.
- 14Pour the oil into a large pot.
- 15Add the pancetta, onion, and garlic.
- 16Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
- 17Add the beans, tomatoes, and calamari.
- 18Add the reserved juices from the shellfish.
- 19Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- 20Stir in the seafood and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 21Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 22Add the pasta and salt to taste.
- 23Cook until tender.
- 24Drain the pasta and add it to the soup.
- 25Add a little of the pasta liquid if the soup seems too thick.
- 26Stir in the parsley.
- 27Serve hot, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood, Pasta, and Bean Soup (Pasta E Fagioli Ai Frutti Di Mare
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.8
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 1061.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 34.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: