Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Self Magazine October 2011: Soybeans are the only complete vegetable protein, delivering all nine of the amino acids that help build fat-burning muscle. They say: 365 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 50 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomato, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (1 tsp if dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup short-grain rice (such as arborio)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops, halved if large
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small pan, heat broth; turn off heat.
- Add saffron; let sit.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and bell peppers, covered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until liquid has almost completely reduced, 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add edamame, shrimp and scallops; simmer, covered, until seafood is fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.