MA HIKER's Note:
I make this every year for our Christmas Eve dinner. It is the Polish tradition to serve seafood and even though this isn't a Polish recipe, my in-laws love it! You can substitute other seafood and fish for what I have indicated. This is a great recipe for experimenting and adding what you love! I have also made this with chicken sausage included with all the fish and seafood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 -2 cup chicken broth
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 2 cups canned artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 16 small mussels, scrubbed or 16 small littleneck clams or 16 small mahogany clams
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 3/4 lb sea scallops
- 3/4 lb boneless salmon steaks, cut into chunks with skin removed or 3/4 lb fresh swordfish or 3/4 lb fresh tuna
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1Heat oil in a dutch oven (or other large cooking pot) over medium high heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- 3Add saffron liquid, 1 cup water, tomatoes, chicken broth, red& black pepper and bring to a boil.
- 4Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 5Stir occasionally.
- 6After 10 minutes check consistency of rice should be creamy with some liquid.
- 7If necessary add more water until rice is tender and creamy.
- 8Add artichokes, vermouth, seafood& fish.
- 9Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until mussel (or clam) shells open.
- 10Discard any unopened shells.
- 11Sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Paella With Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.9
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 174.8 mg
- Sodium 501.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 45.4 g