Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this every year for our Christmas Eve dinner. It is the Polish tradition to serve seafood and even though this isn't a Polish recipe, my in-laws love it! You can substitute other seafood and fish for what I have indicated. This is a great recipe for experimenting and adding what you love! I have also made this with chicken sausage included with all the fish and seafood.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 -2 cup chicken broth
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 2 cups canned artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 16 small mussels, scrubbed or 16 small littleneck clams or 16 small mahogany clams
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 3⁄4 lb sea scallops
- 3⁄4 lb boneless salmon steaks, cut into chunks with skin removed or 3⁄4 lb fresh swordfish or 3⁄4 lb fresh tuna
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a dutch oven (or other large cooking pot) over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add saffron liquid, 1 cup water, tomatoes, chicken broth, red& black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- After 10 minutes check consistency of rice should be creamy with some liquid.
- If necessary add more water until rice is tender and creamy.
- Add artichokes, vermouth, seafood& fish.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until mussel (or clam) shells open.
- Discard any unopened shells.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This is fantastic! I made it for my family for Christmas Eve and it was a huge hit -- delicious, festive & fancy, but not really that difficult or time-consuming. We used a bit less seafood, added mushrooms (definitely delicious), and substituted white wine for the vermouth. It was a glorious hit, everyone raved. This recipe is already our new family favorite. It goes beautifully with a side of kale salad.