Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
If saffron is too costly for your budget, substitute turmeric; it will give you the same golden color.
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage (or hot Italian sausage)
- 1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron thread
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped (medium or small shrimp)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can smoked mussels, drained
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup green olives (sliced or chopped) or 1⁄4 cup black olives (sliced or chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; Take sausage from its casing and crumble the meat into a large skillet.
- Cook the sausage over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Drain off most of the grease; add in the red and yellow peppers and onion to the skillet.
- Decrease heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and saffron; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to gently but thoroughly combine the shrimp, mussels, rice, bread crumbs, parsley, olives, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, salt, eggs, and cooked sausage/vegetable mixture.
- Pat mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking pan; bake 40-45 minutes until the loaf is browned and top is crusty.
- Let the loaf stand in pan for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.