Recipe by Mary K. W.
This is a recipe I found in one of the grocery store recipes booklets. It is very rich tasting and the sherry just gives it a great accent. Since I don't have easy access to fresh seafood, I used the canned crab and it was fine. Although I haven't tried it, I would feel comfortable using scallops or any shellfish to make this dish.
Top Review by LindyLoohoo1964
This recipe was absolutely delicious! I also added a pound of bay scallops and a can of cream of shrimp soup which made it even richer. I served this with toast points which were fabulous! You don't need to measure the sherry, just make sure that all the seafood is covered in the dish while marinating.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh uncooked crabmeat or 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat, canned
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine shrimp, crabmeat and sherry. Mix gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 13 x 9 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp of the butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and mushrooms; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter; stir until melted. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, seasoned salt and pepper to mushroom mixture; mix well. Cook until bubbly. Gradually add half-and-half and milk, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add seafood mixture and cooked rice to mushroom sauce; stir gently to mix. Pour into sprayed baking dish. In small bowl combine topping ingredients; mix well. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.