Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
This is incredible and usually reserved for special occasions.
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 -28 manicotti
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; cook over medium-high heat 30 minutes or until thickened and reduced to 2 cups; set aside.
- Cook manicotti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and next 5 ingredients.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add shrimp and crabmeat, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Cool 10 minutes, and drain well.
- Combine seafood mixture and whipping cream mixture.
- Fill manicotti shells, and place in 2 lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dishes.
- Sprinkle with cheeses, and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 additional minutes.
- Serve immediately.
this was excellent! But i ended up using two boxes of manicotti instead of the one box it called for. (not a problem, more to eat!)
I followed the recipe. Some thoughts. If you buy 2 lbs. of frozen raw shrimp, and then need to peel it and chop it, your cooking time will increase. If you buy shrimp already peeled, maybe that would help. If you heat whipping cream, it can surprise you when it boils over the top of the pan. So, vigilance is required, and don't get distracted by the peeling and chopping. The actual seafood mixture is delicious (crab, shrimp, onion, etc.). However, the manicotti is dry after baking, and I think the recipe would be helped by having something like an alfredo or tomato sauce for cooking the manicotti.
This is wonderful! My husband made this for our first v-day married! It is a bit messy though when stuffing the manicotti tubes so I would sugest using lasgana and rolling them.