Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white part only, rinsed well and finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces medium sea scallops, sliced thin
- 1 lb boneless skinless fish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces (haddock, sole, or snapper)
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- 15 lasagna noodles (plain or spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded (or thinly sliced)
- Heat oil in a skillet; add in leek; stir/saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and paste; cook, stirring and breaking tomatoes with the side of a spoon, until mixture boils.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the shrimp, scallops, and fish fillet; add a few pieces of the torn basil leaves; cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes; do not boil or overcook.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Place noodles in a large bowl of cool water until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350° ; spoon ½ cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Lift the lasagna noodles individually from the water and blot dry on paper towels; arrange a single layer of 5 overlapping noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon a third of the sauce and seafood over the noodles; sprinkle with a third of the basil and top with a third of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with the next two layers.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and edges browned, about 50 minutes; let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serve.