Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful recipe.
Make and share this Seafood Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 live blue crabs (halved)
- 1 lb raw shrimp (peeled and deveined, with tails off)
- 1 lb fish fillets, such as redfish or 1 lb another firm fish (cut into pieces)
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1 pint oyster (in their liquor)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 bunch scallion (chopped, both white and green parts)
- 2 quarts shrimp or 2 quarts seafood stock (chicken stock may be substituted)
- salt and black pepper
- In a large, heavy saucepot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is a peanut butter color, about 20 minutes.
- Immediately add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaves and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add stock and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, skim surface and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add crabs and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until thickened and flavorful.
- If gumbo seems too thick, thin with water or stock.
- Add the shrimp, scallops and fish and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink and the scallops and fish are cooked through.
- Add the oysters with their liquor, parsley and scallions, and cook until the edges of the oysters curl, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in large bowls, making certain that everyone gets some of each kind of seafood.