Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Shrimp or Crawfish, Crab, you can add other meats if you wish, sausage, etc.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped (can add more if you like more tomatoes) or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (can add more if you like more tomatoes)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tony chachere's creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 40 ounces sliced okra (frozen or fresh)
- 1 lb crabmeat or 1 lb crab claws
- 4 lbs shrimp, peeled
- Heat the vegetable oil in a very large soup pot, gradually whisk in flour with a long handled whisk. Continue to stir and whisk constantly until the roux reaches a dark chocolate color, being careful not to burn. In South Louisiana, you can purchase Roux premade in a jar, and I frequently use that, but I NEVER use the "roux mix" that you can purchase.
- At this time add the 4 cans tomatoes chopped with the juice. Continue to stir and whisk another 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook another 20 minutes stirring very frequently.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in 2 to 4 quarts of water. Add this to the pot and bring to a boil. Add seasonings. and okra and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and crab. Cook until shrimp are done. Add fresh green onion tops at end of cooking. Serve over rice.
- I frequently substitue crawfish tails for some of the shrimp. I prefer to use crab claws rather than crab meat in the gumbo. You can also add some andouille sausage if you want that.