This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. No meat in here. This is the best gumbo I've ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient - do not omit it. The smell will drive you nuts!!! NOTE: If you can't find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to Crab Boil Spices by Candie Yoder or #34801 by Miller (Oysters are optional, I don't eat them myself)
- 59.14 ml oil
- 44.37-59.16 ml flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 453.59 g bagfrozen chopped okra
- 946.0 ml chicken broth
- 453.59 g can whole tomatoes, w/liquid
- 4-5 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 29.58-44.37 ml crab boil, tied in cheesecloth
- salt & pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 907.18 g raw shrimp, peeled
- 453.59 g crabmeat or 2 can crabmeat
- 473.19 ml oyster (OPTIONAL)
- 453.59 g firm white fish fillet (halibut, white fish, cod)
- 14.79 ml gumbo file powder
- To make a roux, heat oil, add flour and cook over medium heat until VERY dark but not scorched, stirring constantly. If using butter, be very careful because it burns easily. Set aside.
- In large dutch oven, saute onion, celery, and okra until limp.
- Add roux, broth, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, crab boil packet, and salt and pepper. (NOTE: If you can't find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to recipe # 3252 by Candie Yoder or # 34801 by Miller)
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add all raw fish and seafood and the file powder.
- Simmer until done, but do not boil.
- Serve over bowls of rice.