Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. No meat in here. This is the best gumbo I've ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient - do not omit it. The smell will drive you nuts!!! NOTE: If you can't find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to Crab Boil Spices by Candie Yoder or #34801 by Miller (Oysters are optional, I don't eat them myself)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) bagfrozen chopped okra
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, w/liquid
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons crab boil, tied in cheesecloth
- salt & pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 lb crabmeat or 2 cans crabmeat
- 1 pint oyster (OPTIONAL)
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet (halibut, white fish, cod)
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- To make a roux, heat oil, add flour and cook over medium heat until VERY dark but not scorched, stirring constantly. If using butter, be very careful because it burns easily. Set aside.
- In large dutch oven, saute onion, celery, and okra until limp.
- Add roux, broth, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, crab boil packet, and salt and pepper. (NOTE: If you can't find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to recipe # 3252 by Candie Yoder or # 34801 by Miller)
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add all raw fish and seafood and the file powder.
- Simmer until done, but do not boil.
- Serve over bowls of rice.
This seafood gumbo is awesome!! I cooked the roux until it was a nice caramel brown color. The crab boil entices you with its smell and gives such incredible flavor. I used halibut and included the oysters. Fabulous!! Put some up in the freezer for later. Thanks pappergoddess.
Thanks for sending a piece of New Orleans to my home with this recipe. Great authentic flavor!! I've made this a couple of times now. Put in 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp. 2 lbs is a little too shrimpy for me, and 1/2 pint of oysters. They are easier to avoid for those that don't like them. Used bay scallops instead of fish, and Old Bay Seafood Seasoning for the crab boil. Didn't bother with the cheesecloth. Great directions for the roux. It came out perfectly. Even though I tweaked the recipe to my taste, it's still a 5 star recipe.
This was beyond delicious love it added a few extra things here and there but didn't modify it too much it was very good thanks I'm going to make this again :)