Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that never fails to impress. There's the perfect amount of spice and to top it off, it's good for you! I serve it with a salad and some warm rolls. I usually use just under a 1/2 tsp of each pepper. If you like really spicy, use 1/2 tsp each.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed and drained or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans okra, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 ounces imitation crabmeat
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Mix onion, bell pepper, celery, okra and garlic; reserve.
- Heat butter in 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Gradually stir in flour. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel colored, about 7 minutes.
- Add half of reserved onion mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining onion mixture. Cook until celery is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in and break up tomatoes. Stir in chicken broth, salt, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper and bay leaves. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Add shrimp and crabmeat to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling. Boil uncovered 1 1/2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Stir and remove bay leaves. Serve over rice.