Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Truly the best gumbo recipe. The cayenne is adjustable for the amount of heat you want in your gumbo. If you like Cajun this is by far the best gumbo you will ever have. The recipe was given to me by a Cajun about 5 years ago and I finally came to making it and WOW. (this stores well in mason jars. if your not serving immediately only add seafood to the mixture when you are to serve and only when mixture is boiling for a 3 minutes and then take the gumbo off the heat.)
- 4 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups okra, sliced
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped (2 large can of tomato substitute)
- 2 onions, large and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped, with leaves
- 2 cups bell peppers (Blend 3/4 cup each Bell red and green and 1/2 cup Jalapeno chopped)
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 3 lbs shrimp, small to medium
- 10 oysters (optional)
- for stock
- 3 carrots, halved
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 3 onions, quartered
- *Make seafood stock from 2 teaspoons salt, shrimp heads and shells, crab bodies,(fish carcasses or all of the above for stock) along with the carrots, celery and onions.Bring to a boil 4 quarts of water, lower heat to mid heat 45 m -1hour. Strain the stock, discarding solids.
- Cook okra in the butter/oil blend in a large, heavy stainless steel pot over medium heat, stirring and scraping until some of the sliminess is gone; about 10-15 minutes.
- At same time make Roux by blending 1/3 cup flour with 1/3 cup oil keep stirring on mid heat until brown – darkish brown.
- In another pan fry, onions, celery, garlic, peppers, lemon, the seasonings and herb mix for 10 minute.
- Add tomato and tomato paste and cook over low to medium heat for about 15 minute.
- add okra and Roux together . then add to veggie mix for 15 minute stirring and scraping often.
- Very slowly blend the stock into the mixture. Simmer about 30 minute.
- Add crab and shrimp and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add oysters and simmer about 5 minutes. Add green onions.
- Cook desired amount of white parboiled rice and place in a soup bowl.
- Pour desired amount of the gumbo over cooked rice.
- You can play with the amounts to your liking but this is absolutely cant miss.
- you can play with the volume of seafood to your liking,
- This is a large volume for a fairly big crowd my suggestion is to leave the shrimp, crab and oysters out and jar/can the gumbo as a base for when you are ready for it and then once boiling add the seafood.
This is truly a great gumbo but I had to watch how much seafood broth is used because I like my gumbo thick. This is really one of the best gumbo recipe alot of flavor