Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
from soul kitchen, food tv
Make and share this Seafood Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 dozen raw shrimp, shells off, tails on
- 2 dozen cooked crayfish tails, 6 crawfish reserved, for garnish
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 dozen oysters, shucked
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- hot pepper sauce and file powder, to taste for individual servings
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat combine flour with vegetable oil to make roux.
- Stir continuously to make sure that mixture does not scorch until dark brown color with nutty aroma is achieved.
- In heavy stock pot, saute onions, celery, peppers and garlic in peanut oil until vegetables are soft approximately 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spices, sausage and chicken stock. Slowly add 2/3 to 1 cup of roux 1 tablespoon at a time.
- When proper thickness, add shrimp and cook until opaque. Lower heat and simmer.
- Next add crawfish, crabmeat and oysters. Let simmer for another half hour.
- serve over rice.