Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
from soul kitchen, food tv
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 dozen raw shrimp, shells off, tails on
- 2 dozen cooked crayfish tails, 6 crawfish reserved, for garnish
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 dozen oysters, shucked
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- hot pepper sauce and file powder, to taste for individual servings
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat combine flour with vegetable oil to make roux.
- Stir continuously to make sure that mixture does not scorch until dark brown color with nutty aroma is achieved.
- In heavy stock pot, saute onions, celery, peppers and garlic in peanut oil until vegetables are soft approximately 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spices, sausage and chicken stock. Slowly add 2/3 to 1 cup of roux 1 tablespoon at a time.
- When proper thickness, add shrimp and cook until opaque. Lower heat and simmer.
- Next add crawfish, crabmeat and oysters. Let simmer for another half hour.
- serve over rice.
This was delicious!........I made it months ago and the family is still talking about it!
this was very good easy to make. didn't add the oysters. used home made stock. there was a film floating that i had to skim not sure if it was the rue or exta fat from stock? but was yummy DS had 2nds.
This was really good! I left out the crawfish, oysters and crabmeat, and just made it using a few shrimp and spicy sausage, I increased the garlic way up, omitted the garlic powder and used olive oil. I added in 3 teaspoons hot pepper flakes also. Although there is quite a few ingredients listed it is very easy to put together, my DH will enjoy this for lunch, thanks Chia!...Kitten:)