Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup is cool, refreshing and delicious on a hot summer day. Use vine ripe tomatoes for the best results.
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cucumber, peeled,seeded and diced
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 5 cups tomato juice
- 4 limes, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooked shrimp or 1 lb crab
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Combine the bread crumbs and garlic and set aside.
- Mix together the cucumber, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour in the tomato juice and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Add the bread crumb mixture and stir in the oil.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender and stir it back into the half that is not pureed.
- Season with cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Just before serving, stir in the crabmeat and avocado.
Geema my gazpacho-loving DS said this is a fabulous recipe! three jalapenos were just the perfect amount of spice for this, I just used a regular yellow onion, and also I increased the garlic slightly, thanks for a great recipe hon!...Kitten:)