Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Simple curry uses on-hand ingredients, expecially if using thawed frozen shelled shrimp and frozen or canned crabmeat, making this an easy emergency supper. We serve this curry over rice with custard or fruit for desert. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (May, 1982).
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups warm milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 lb cooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb cooked crabmeat
- lemon juice
- lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to pan and cook 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine flour, curry powder and salt.
- Add to skillet and cook stirring constantly (5 minutes).
- Increase heat to medium and whisk in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture into saucepan.
- Add cream, shrimp and crabmeat to pan and combine well over low heat.
- Add lemon juice to pan.
- Serve over rice and garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.