Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple curry uses on-hand ingredients, expecially if using thawed frozen shelled shrimp and frozen or canned crabmeat, making this an easy emergency supper. We serve this curry over rice with custard or fruit for desert. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (May, 1982).
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups warm milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 lb cooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb cooked crabmeat
- lemon juice
- lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to pan and cook 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine flour, curry powder and salt.
- Add to skillet and cook stirring constantly (5 minutes).
- Increase heat to medium and whisk in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture into saucepan.
- Add cream, shrimp and crabmeat to pan and combine well over low heat.
- Add lemon juice to pan.
- Serve over rice and garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
I just finished my dinner of this curry, and I can say that I thought it was very very good. I used Curry Powder Trio (Take Yer Pick!) to make the curry powder, although I did increase the chili pepper. Perhaps because I was using a fairly shallow pan, the mixture boiled over shortly after I put the lid on to simmer it. I cooked it without the lid, stirring from time to time. This is a very mild, rich and filling curry, which brings out the flavor of the shrimp (I used double the amount of shrimp only), beautifully. Thank you for posting this recipe.
for our taste this curry recipe was too hot and not in keeping with the usual curries of late which also use the flavors of other spices, or coconut milk for more complex flavor. it was easy and quick to prepare. we served it over basmati rice with alot of mango chutney on the side
I'm reserving 5 stars for the very very very best recipes, ..this was an easy dish to make & went well with plain pasta and stir fried veggies. I didn't make the curry too strong (varied tastes of guests) and made a little extra sauce (only because I had additional cream to hand)of the 4 adults present two gave 3 stars and two gave 4, and since there's no way to gauge personal preferences I leaned towards the top mark rather than the bottom one and gave it a 4 star rating. I'll write this in the family cookbook and will make it again. Great recipe :) Thanks !