Recipe by ellie_
Simple curry uses on-hand ingredients, expecially if using thawed frozen shelled shrimp and frozen or canned crabmeat, making this an easy emergency supper. We serve this curry over rice with custard or fruit for desert. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (May, 1982).
Top Review by mianbao
I just finished my dinner of this curry, and I can say that I thought it was very very good. I used Recipe #211223 to make the curry powder, although I did increase the chili pepper. Perhaps because I was using a fairly shallow pan, the mixture boiled over shortly after I put the lid on to simmer it. I cooked it without the lid, stirring from time to time. This is a very mild, rich and filling curry, which brings out the flavor of the shrimp (I used double the amount of shrimp only), beautifully. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups warm milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 lb cooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb cooked crabmeat
- lemon juice
- lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to pan and cook 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine flour, curry powder and salt.
- Add to skillet and cook stirring constantly (5 minutes).
- Increase heat to medium and whisk in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture into saucepan.
- Add cream, shrimp and crabmeat to pan and combine well over low heat.
- Add lemon juice to pan.
- Serve over rice and garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.