Recipe by pesce_gurl
This is a nice, bitey little stew, or whatever you would call it, for cold nights. I'm not a big fan of spicey foods, but this tasted pretty good to me. It's from the Favorite Brand Name Cookbook. The microwave ingredients are at the bottom.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red snapper fillets, with skin cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet heat oil; cook tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic until crisp-tender. Add water, rice, cumin, thyme, Tabasco sauce and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Add fish and parsley. Cover; simmer 5 to 10 minutes longer or until liquid is aborbed and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove bay leaf.
- Microwave: In 3-qt. microwave-safe casserole plac oil, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; cook on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, 1 CUP ONLY of water, rice, cumin, thyme, Tabasco sauce and bay leaf. Re-cover; cook on HIGH 20 minutes; stir. Add fish and parsley. Re-cover; cook on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Let stand covered 10 minutes before serving. Remove bay leaf.