Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Adapted from a free recipe from my local market. If you want, substitute raw for boiled shrimp; peel and devein it and add it with the scallops. You can substitute frozen snow peas, thawed, for the fresh ones and 3 cups canned or homemade vegetable broth for the vegetable bouillon. Alter the amount of garlic to suit your taste.
- 3 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1⁄2 lb raw sea scallops, sliced in half
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb boiled medium shrimp
- 4 slices limes (optional, for garnish)
- In large pot, heat 3 cups water and dissolve vegetable bouillon granules.
- Whisk in clam juice through ginger; bring to a boil.
- Add mushrooms, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add snow peas and scallops; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in coconut milk through red pepper; cook 3 minutes more.
- Add boiled shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes more just until heated through.
- Divide between 4 soup bowls; if desired, garnish each with a slice of lime.