I love chowders. This one takes 20 minutes start to finish. From the newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons clam base (or lobster base, or 1 Knorr fish or shrimp bouillon cube)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (for about 1 cup chopped)
- 2 large red potatoes
- 8 ounces firm white fish such as tilapia fillets or 8 ounces cod fish fillets, defrosted if frozen
- 8 ounces fresh shrimp, tails removed, cleaned and deveined
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can minced clams (or chopped clams)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1Place the water and clam base in a 2-cup glass measure and microwave, uncovered on high, for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave, stir and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot. While the butter melts, peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the pot as you chop. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- 3Cut potatoes (unpeeled), fish and shrimp into bite size pieces and add them to the pot. (If the tails are still attached to the shrimp, remove and discard them.) Add the clam-broth mixture, and raise the heat to high. Add the canned clams with their juice, Worcestersire, thyme and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil.
- 4When the soup comes to a boil, add the corn and bring the soup back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook at a slow boil until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the cream. Serve at once.
- 5NOTE: Peeled cooked shrimp can be substituted for the raw shrimp. Add them when you add the corn.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Chowder in a Flash
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.9
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 241.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: