Recipe by Jimijoe 43
One cold november night I started looking for a nice warm seafood soup or chowder recipe but I couldn't find the perfect one. I went out and bought some chowder ingredients and spent the next day creating. This is the result. Enjoy!
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Lovely seafood chowder recipe. I didn't use flour to thicken and wish I would have but loved all the herbs. Used shrimp, crab (imitation) and tilapia for the fish. Can hardly wait for real crab, it will be even better.
- 3 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 lbs bay scallops
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped white onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons mc cormick seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon horseradish cream
- 6 cups water (from the seafood steaming)
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 qt multipot steam the shrimp and scallops.
- Keep 6 cups of the water and discard the rest.
- Chop the seafood in a food processor.
- Set aside.
- Heat the pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the soup, potatoes, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, celery salt, red pepper flakes seafood seasoning, horseradish and water from steaming.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add seafood.
- Mix the heavy whipping cream and the flour.
- Add to the chowder.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender.