Recipe by Daydream
A delicious chowder made from tender white fish, scallops, shrimp, a hint of bacon, white wine and cream, melded together in fragrant fish stock and garnished with fresh dill. Special enough to serve for company, or to give your family a real treat. You can substitute clams for scallops, if you wish, and if you prefer not to add wine, use 4 cups of fish stock instead of 3.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
This turned out so good, even the picky child said so! I made it gluten free and dairy free (I used So Delicious coconut milk - the kind in the refrigerated 2 qts) and used green onions in place of leek. Used cod and probably simmered it a little longer, just to make sure the fish was done (I also didn't use the scallops or shrimp, DD is allergic to shrimp).
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2 celery ribs, scraped and finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups fish stock, heated
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet, boned and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 8 ounces scallops, cleaned and halved
- 8 ounces fresh small shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh dill, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil, then add the bacon and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Next add the onion, garlic, leek, carrot, celery and potato, and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the butter to the pan, and when melted, toss in the flour and cook for a minute, being careful it does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the wine and fish stock and, whilst continually stirring, bring it to the boil, then decrease the heat and simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes until carrots and potato are just tender.
- Add the fish pieces and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lastly, add the scallops, shrimps, cream, parsley.
- Mix well, and heat for 5 minutes without boiling, or until scallops and shrimps are cooked and tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with dill.