Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is not low fat and it is not cheap but it is great for a special occasion.
Make and share this Seafood Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 small onions
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 liter whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon mixed pepper seasoning
- 4 cups mixed frozen shrimp (or more if desired) or 4 cups frozen scallops (or more if desired) or 4 cups frozen crab (or more if desired)
- Finely chop celery and peel and finely chop carrots, onions and potatoes.
- Boil in veg broth and water until tender.
- Melt butter, mix with flour and add paste to vegetables & broth.
- Add whipping cream and pepper seasoning and bring to boil.
- Add shrimp, scallops and crab. Bring to boil to heat seafood. Serve.
Just excellent with frozen scallops -- and quick, too. I used evaporated skim milk instead of whipping cream, removing much of the fat from the dish and keeping all the good flavor. Just delish! Thanks!!!
Fantastic soup! It was gone in a minute. I used lump crab meat, fresh shrimp and canned clams as well as whole wheat flour for the roux, whole milk instead of whipping cream and chicken stock instead of veg and water. I asked my friends whether this soup was of restaurant quality and they said: Absolutely! Thank you.
My first time making seafood chowder, this couldn't get any easier, a great "base" recipe, I loved this method and will be using it from now on. I used lobster, canned clams, shrimp, imitation crab (sushi kind), bite sized salmon pieces, haddock fish, mussels and bay scallops.
Also, I also prepared mashed potato off to the side then added to the soup base, it adds a little extra richness with not much calories.