- 6 slices bacon, center cut
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup celery, finely sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, reduced fat
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrot, finely sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 13 ounces clams, canned, undrained
- 3 ounces cod, haddock, pollock (or fish of your choice)
- 3 ounces imitation crabmeat
- 3 ounces shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 1 clam juice, bottled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut crab and fish fillet into bite-sized pieces.
- Spray a large soup pot with nonstick cooking spray add the oil.
- Add bacon, celery and onion; cook until bacon is browned and onions are tender; over med-low heat.
- Add chicken broth, juice from the clams, bottled clam juice, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and pepper.
- Cover; and simmer about 35 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Add clams, shrimp, crab and fish fillet.
- Heat until fish is cooked about 3 minutes, add cornstarch to water and blend well, stir into chowder; cook and stir to thicken.
- You may need to add additional cornstarch and water to get the desired thickness.
- Use your favorite combination of fish, mussels ect. Try to keep the total weight of seafood to 1 lb.