Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A portugese specialty.
- 8 ounces fresh mussels, scrubbed (in shell)
- 8 ounces fresh small clams, scrubbed (in shell)
- 8 ounces raw prawns (in shell)
- 8 ounces baby calamari, tubes cut into rings
- 4 fluid ounces white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients in the bottom of a cataplana or a wide saucepan with a close fitting lid.
- Place over a low/medium heat, cover with the lid and cook for 5-8 minutes until the mussel and clam shells have steam open.
- Stir well and remove and discard any mussels or clams which haven't opened. Serve immediately.
Years ago I bought a cataplana (think an early Portuguese pressure cooker) and now you have given me a reason to break it out and use it! Mrs Silva used to make this and I can still taste the wonderful combination of flavors in my mind.