Getting the kids ready and out the door in time for the traditional Lutheran church's Christmas Eve Children's Worship Service is made MUCH easier with this recipe on hand. Get things ready ahead of time, make a loaf of garlicky French bread, and before the little whipper-snappers have time to realize what's happened, you've eaten a healthy AND festive supper, AND are STILL out-the-door in time for church to hear the story and sing the carols of the Birth of Our Savior! Those lovely ladies at Gooseberry Patch take the credit for coming up with this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Main Thing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove pressed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups milk
Some More Main Thing Ingredients
- 2 lbs frozen shrimp, thawed (cooked, tails off)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen imitation crabmeat, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced, drained
- French bread, sliced, garlic-buttered
- 1Melt butter over medium-high heat; saute green pepper, onion, and celery until tender (5 minutes?); stir in mushrooms.
- 2Sprinkle flour over veggies, stir and cook for ONE minute; add garlic and remaining Roux ingredients.
- 3Whisk in the Sauce ingredients; cook for ONE minute, until thickened.
- 4Preheat oven to 350; grease a 13x9 pan.
- 5Combine remaining Main Thing ingredients in the cake pan, pour sauce over and toss lightly to coat.
- 6Combine Topping ingredients in a small bowl, sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- 7Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes until bubbly.
- 8At the last 15 minutes, pop in a loaf of sliced and garlicky-buttered French bread (wrapped in foil for optimum delicious-ness).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Casserole for Christmas Eve from the Farmhouse
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.2
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 301.4 mg
- Sodium 1591.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 40.8 g