Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is the perfect first course of an elegant dinner, or a special main dish for lunch. The flavour is outstanding.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 generous grating fresh pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch mace
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup shrimp (or a combination of shrimp and any other seafood)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in large pan.
- Add vegetables, seasonings and lemon juice.
- Cook slowly for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add seafood and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add cream just before serving.
- (For a lower fat version, reduce the butter or margarine to 1 T, and use evaporated milk or half-and-half instead of the cream).
Even though I used evaporated milk instead of cream, this was rich and wonderful and satisfying. I used frozen shrimp and homemade chicken broth and it came out perfectly. A great, great recipe.
This came out perfect!! I chopped all the ingredients in a food processor and ended up cooking it mostly in a slow/soup cooker and it was delicious. I added an extra dab or two of Tobasco and that made it slightly spicy.