My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lbs cod, cut into chunks
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans quartered water-packed artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 lb fresh spinach, stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Preheat broiler to high.
- 2Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons butter, and bay leaf to a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add fish and shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, turning carefully with fish spatula.
- 4Remove the fish and shrimp to a plate; squeeze lemon juice on the cooked fish, and reserve.
- 5Add 2 tablespoons more butter to the skillet and the shallot; sauté shallot for 2 minutes, then add the flour and cook another minute.
- 6Whisk in the stock and thicken for a minute.
- 7Add the cream to the sauce and bring to a bubble; stir in the sherry, then season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- 8Slide the seafood back into the pan and cook together over med-low heat to reduce the sauce and finish cooking the seafood, 5-6 minutes.
- 9Heat a second skillet over med-high heat; add the remaining olive oil, garlic, and drained artichokes; fry 2 minutes, then wilt in the spinach and season with salt and pepper; turn the pan off and reserve.
- 10Pour the seafood into a shallow casserole; top with the Gruyere cheese, paprika, parsley, and Parm; brown the casserole under the broiler and serve; pile the spinach and artichokes alongside the seafood.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Au Gratin With Sautéed Artichokes and Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1168.7
- Calories from Fat 657
- Total Fat 73.0 g
- Saturated Fat 34.8 g
- Cholesterol 419.7 mg
- Sodium 928.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 84.2 g