This is a wonderful brunch dish! or special with a crisp green salad and more sourdough bread.
Make and share this Seafood au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh large shrimp or 1 1⁄4 lbs frozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh small scallops or 1 1⁄4 lbs frozen small scallops
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded canadian old cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups coarsely torn sourdough bread or 2 cups baguette
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large non stick saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add shrimp, scallops, wine and thyme to the pan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or unti seafood is cooked.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup broth.
- Set seafood mixture aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoon more butter in the same pan.
- Remove from heat and blend in flour; gradually stir in reserved broth and milk.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of Canadian old cheddar and stir until melted.
- Fold in cooked seafood mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into oven proof casserole, sprinkle sourdough over top and sprinkle with remaining Canadian old cheddar.
- Set under broiler in oven about 6 inches from heat, broil until sourdough is browned and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.