Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful brunch dish! or special with a crisp green salad and more sourdough bread.
Make and share this Seafood au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh large shrimp or 1 1⁄4 lbs frozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh small scallops or 1 1⁄4 lbs frozen small scallops
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded canadian old cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups coarsely torn sourdough bread or 2 cups baguette
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large non stick saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add shrimp, scallops, wine and thyme to the pan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or unti seafood is cooked.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup broth.
- Set seafood mixture aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoon more butter in the same pan.
- Remove from heat and blend in flour; gradually stir in reserved broth and milk.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of Canadian old cheddar and stir until melted.
- Fold in cooked seafood mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into oven proof casserole, sprinkle sourdough over top and sprinkle with remaining Canadian old cheddar.
- Set under broiler in oven about 6 inches from heat, broil until sourdough is browned and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
The first recipe my husband said was "company worthy!" We both loved it! Don't let the little bit longer length intimidate you; its not that difficult. Instructions are very clear. I did use all scallops, as that is what I had on hand, but I'll be making this again as I think it would be a great way to use up small quantities of shrimp, scallops, crab or even lobster. Delicious, Derf! Thank you for an excellent recipe!
I just had one of the best dinners ever! This is an awesome recipe! I halved the recipe for just me and my husband, and used all shrimp because of what I had on hand. I used an aged New York white cheddar for the cheese. I wasn't quite sure about the sourdough chunks but went ahead and added them per the recipe and, I have to tell you, I think that made the whole dish! My husband and I were fishing out the bread and sopping up the sauce, it was so good! We had this over a little mostaccioli and also had a green salad. Thanks so much Dorothy, this is going into my 'best ever will do again and again' file!
I chose to make this dish for my stepsons birthday dinner. I could not imagine a simple recipe like this coming out so good. Everybody raved how good this dish was. Thanks Derf for making our meal so special and memorable. I will be making this recipe again. 10 stars!