Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
Credit for the inspiration for this one goes to Vicki in CT's Seafood Lasagne but I completely revamped almost everything but the baking time. I still mean to make hers someday, but this is what I had on-hand and it came out so good I had to post it.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 1 (8 ounce) package imitation crabmeat, thawed and drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) package imitation lobster meat, thawed and drained well
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained but not squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Melt butter over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling.
- Whisk in milk and broth; increase heat to medium and heat, stirring frequently, until bubbling. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, one minute.
- Stir in onion, garlic, cheese and basil; cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass pan.
- Layer half of the penne, all of the cottage cheese, and half of the crab and lobster over the sauce.
- Pour another 1/3 of cheese mixture over seafood.
- Layer remaining half of the penne, the spinach (should still be wet), and the remaining seafood; then top with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes; let stand 15 minutes before serving.