6 hrs 10 mins
Chef Boy of Dee's's Note:
This is a very easy recipe which was a stovetop originally. It called for browning meat, then the onions, etc etc, however being lazy, we decided to forgo the browning of the meat and onions etc and just toss in a crock pot and let the water do the work. We also increased the water originally called for because it makes a great broth...thus as that well known soup company states "...it's the soup (slurp)...that eats like a meal...(gulp)".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take stew meat which has been cut up into whatever size pieces you desire and the sliced onion, and place in bottom of large crockpot.
- 2On top of that, place the rest of the ingredients.
- 3We use baby carrots because we like the flavor better than regular carrots so if you use the babies, you can cut them up into whatever size you want and toss them inches Add four (4) cups water, this will provide you with an excellent broth for later.
- 4Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours.
- 5Then reduce heat to LOW and let cook the rest of the day, about 6 or so hours, or until the meat is as tender as you like.
- 6Halfway through the cooking, you will need to stir the crock and make sure all the ingredients are stirred up.
- 7Serve in bowls with a crusty French Bread or rolls for sopping up the broth.
- 8This is GREAT for cold weather.
- 9An even easier variation is to place all the ingredients in an oven proof Dutch Oven, and place in a 250F degree oven overnight.
- 10Make sure you add the 4 cups of water.
- 11This requires no attendance on your part.
- 12You will wake up in the morning with a terrific smelling kitchen and a great breakfast stew.
- 13You can also cool it down in a Bain-Marie (cold water bath) for service later.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafarer's Stew
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.9
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 997.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 21.5 g