Recipe by Chef Boy of Dee's
This is a very easy recipe which was a stovetop originally. It called for browning meat, then the onions, etc etc, however being lazy, we decided to forgo the browning of the meat and onions etc and just toss in a crock pot and let the water do the work. We also increased the water originally called for because it makes a great broth...thus as that well known soup company states "...it's the soup (slurp)...that eats like a meal...(gulp)".
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (we used a garlic pepper mix)
- 6 stalks celery (cut into chunks)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs stewing beef or 2 lbs cheap beef roast (cut up into chunks)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 large carrots (cut into chunks)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
Directions See How It's Made
- Take stew meat which has been cut up into whatever size pieces you desire and the sliced onion, and place in bottom of large crockpot.
- On top of that, place the rest of the ingredients.
- We use baby carrots because we like the flavor better than regular carrots so if you use the babies, you can cut them up into whatever size you want and toss them inches Add four (4) cups water, this will provide you with an excellent broth for later.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours.
- Then reduce heat to LOW and let cook the rest of the day, about 6 or so hours, or until the meat is as tender as you like.
- Halfway through the cooking, you will need to stir the crock and make sure all the ingredients are stirred up.
- Serve in bowls with a crusty French Bread or rolls for sopping up the broth.
- This is GREAT for cold weather.
- An even easier variation is to place all the ingredients in an oven proof Dutch Oven, and place in a 250F degree oven overnight.
- Make sure you add the 4 cups of water.
- This requires no attendance on your part.
- You will wake up in the morning with a terrific smelling kitchen and a great breakfast stew.
- You can also cool it down in a Bain-Marie (cold water bath) for service later.