Recipe by Bella chef
I learned this is a recipe from my Home Ec teacher at School. Her name was Miss Ping. She said it was her families favorite. And now it is ours as well. I have changed it a little over the years to suit our tastes. I usually serve this if I know the kids have not been eating properly. It always disappears. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we do Bella.
Top Review by Chef floWer
Very nice pasta, it is a large serving size and very filling. I would maybe would of enjoyed this recipe as a sandwich filler instead of a pasta topper, however we did enjoyed the recipe. Thank you for a health meal Bella Chef.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely sliced celery
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (olive or canola are fine)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (425 g) cans tuna in brine (save the brine)
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 -3 cups grated tasty cheese (or your favorite)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- cornflour or water, if needed
- 3 -4 cups of hot cooked pasta (we use shells, penne or spaghetti)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sliced celery, diced onions and oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook until tender.
- Add diced tomato, tomato paste, all of the brine and 2 cups of water and Lemon Juice.
- Bring to the boil checking and stirring occasionally so as not to burn.
- Flake tuna with a fork and add to pot.
- Warm through; now add grated cheese and Parmesan stir until thoroughly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (I find it's salty enough from the brine).
- Thicken with a little cornstarch and water if needed.
- Place hot pasta in bowls and pour "sauce" on top.