Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I learned this is a recipe from my Home Ec teacher at School. Her name was Miss Ping. She said it was her families favorite. And now it is ours as well. I have changed it a little over the years to suit our tastes. I usually serve this if I know the kids have not been eating properly. It always disappears. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we do Bella.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely sliced celery
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (olive or canola are fine)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (425 g) cans tuna in brine (save the brine)
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 -3 cups grated tasty cheese (or your favorite)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- cornflour or water, if needed
- 3 -4 cups of hot cooked pasta (we use shells, penne or spaghetti)
- Place sliced celery, diced onions and oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook until tender.
- Add diced tomato, tomato paste, all of the brine and 2 cups of water and Lemon Juice.
- Bring to the boil checking and stirring occasionally so as not to burn.
- Flake tuna with a fork and add to pot.
- Warm through; now add grated cheese and Parmesan stir until thoroughly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (I find it's salty enough from the brine).
- Thicken with a little cornstarch and water if needed.
- Place hot pasta in bowls and pour "sauce" on top.
Very nice pasta, it is a large serving size and very filling. I would maybe would of enjoyed this recipe as a sandwich filler instead of a pasta topper, however we did enjoyed the recipe. Thank you for a health meal Bella Chef.