Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The sweet tastes of sea scallops and red peppers combine in this elegant-enough-for-company entree. Delicious served with Sour Lemon Sorbet. Originally from an October 1984 issue of Bon Appetit featuring Indian Summer Menus. Make the Red Pepper Puree before starting the scallops.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup pureed red pepper
Red Pepper Puree
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika (sweet Hungarian preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- For Sea Scallops.
- Heat butter in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add scallops, salt and pepper and stir until just opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer scallops to bowl, using slotted spoon.
- Add wine and sherry to skillet and boil until reduced to syrup, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk in cream and any juices in scallop bowl.
- Boil until thickened to sauce-like consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in Red Pepper Puree and heat through.
- Stir in scallops, adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
- For Red Pepper Puree (makes about 1 cup).
- Melt butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients, cover and cook until very soft, stirring occasionally, about 50 minutes.
- Uncover pan, increase heat to medium and stir until all liquid evaporates and peppers just begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Puree peppers through medium blade of food mill, discarding skins.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator 1 week or frozen.
- Peppers can also be charred and skins removed.
- Proceed with recipe and puree in blender or processor.