Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From today's NY Times
- 12 sea scallops
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 29.58 ml white miso or 29.58 ml miso
- 14.79 ml mirin
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml superfine sugar
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems removed
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml dry white wine
- 7.39 ml whole grain mustard
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml finely grated parmesan cheese
- Season scallops on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic, and lightly dust with flour. In a cup, combine miso, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and enough water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to give a pourable consistency; set aside. Arrange watercress on a serving plate as a bed for scallops.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear scallops on both sides until lightly browned and just firm, about 4 minutes a side. Turn off heat, and remove scallops to a plate.
- Pour wine into skillet, and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add miso mixture to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Turn off heat, and stir in mustard and cream.
- Place scallops on watercress, drizzle warm sauce on top and shower each scallop with cheese. Serve warm.
DH and I made this last night for dinner. It was really easy and really good. I didn't have watercress, so I served over couscous. DH said next time not to serve over couscous and stick to either watercress or rice. Either way, it was really tasty and we would have it again. Thanks!
Absolutely amazing, my whole family thought so. I made this recipe excatly as stated except for presentation,I served scallops in shells, poured sauce over and topped with the parmesan cheese, I then melted that under the grill. I was very skeptical of mixing Asian flavours with that of more Italian flavours, but it was gorgeous and went really well together, the parmesan cheese did not overpower any of the flavours at all. It was wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing, gorgeous and I will make often.
This is wonderfully delicious and so easy too! I tagged this because I had all the ingredients except for the scallops and skipped the watercress (which is very hard to buy where I live anyways) but served it over rice instead. Thanks for sharing this keeper!